Saturday, May 16, 2009

Burgundy wines lunch at SALA


On our las lunch at Pepato, we decided that the next one would be a Burgundy-Pinot blind tasting. This finally did not happen but we decided to still have the Burgundy-Pinot lunch. J decided on Sala so we all met there last Friday around 2:30. In total we were 4 (Noel, Jojo, Jay and myself) and we had a total of 5 bottles.

As soon as we were all there, we had opened all our respective wines we decided to order the food. Aside from his bottle, Jojo also brought a 2001 Edmond Vatan Clos Neore Sancerre. The bottle was very simple with just a small label on the top side. With that, we practically all decided to have the Twice Baked Souffle with Prawn, Feta and Dill, just absolutely delicious... I was not expecting this wine to be as crisp as it was, since it was 2001 and I have never tried Sancerre that old, but it was crisp, with good acidity and I could taste a hint of apple in it...the wine and the Souffle were a prefect match.


For Main, I decided to have Duck (this was not on the menu since lunch time they have a limited menu) but Chef Carlo M. was kind enough to come from Sala Bistro just to cook for us. I ordered the Duck Breast with Duck Fat Roasted Potatoes, Spiced Red Cabbage, Roast Pears and Cranberry Jus. It was superb as usual and with the wines that we had, again a perfect match. My notes of the dish from the last time I was there are still the same: The Duck Breast was just perfection, although I was not too happy about the potatoes. This menu is a carbon copy of what I had during a special birthday dinner at Sala some time ago... just can't get enough of it...

As for the wines, we had 4 bottles (3 from Burgundy and a Pinot Noir from Italy) The first Bottle I tasted was Jay's bottle, a Joseph Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru 1998. Very enjoyable, it was quite an old wine so there was no decanting. Very Good. Noel's Bottle was a Louis Jadot Clos St. Denis Grand Cru 1999, which we had purchased at Bacchus just before going to Sala. It seemed to lack finish. Jay also mentioned that it needed more time in the Bottle and someone else said maybe it should have not been decanted. Jojo's bottles was a Denis Mortet Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru Les Champeaux 2003. This was the one I enjoyed the most, very easy to drink. Jaymntioned that he found it very sweet and in a way I tasted the same. The last was my bottle, a 2005 Alois Lageder Krafuss Pinot Noir, which I had purchased during my last trip to Italy for this dinner. I was a bit anxious about this wine since I had no idea how it would taste. I was the only one who brought a Pinot Noir and from Italy, which I think no one had ever tried. I decanted it for about 1.5 hours. It was very light in color and I think Noel or Jay mentioned it was a new world-like/California-ish Pinot Noir. I also enjoyed this one and was surprised by the out come. It had good finish.


Since we had so much wine left, for dessert we ordered a cheese platter just to have something with the left over wine. After that we had some espressos and left at around 3 PM (they were closing the place down already.

Noel and I had to kill time before our Wine tasting organized by Sommelier Selection, so we decided to pass by Greenbelt 5. I ended up getting the WINE REPORT 2009 by Tom Stevenson. On our way, we stopped by LUSSO, Gaita Fores new Champagne Bar. She was there having a Photo shoot I guess to promote her new place so we decided to have a drink. Noel chose a glass of Billecarte-Salmon Brut Rose, very refreshing Rose Bubbly.


We then proceeded to Pasong Tamo for Somellier Selection 100 Wines from France wine Tasting. This was a very well organized wine tasting of Sommelier Selections 100 wines available in the local market. I obviously did not try all 100 wines but just chose the ones I thought would interest me. I went for the Rose's, some white and some sweet wines. I was hoping to have re-tried again my favorite Rose wine Tempier Bandol, but unfortunately it was out of stock.

It was a long day of wine and food...but hey I'm not complaining...had a great time (Thanks Noel, Jojo and jay) and til the next lunch...

2 comments:

Noel said...

Nice re-cap, Miguel. Good shots, asl always. Good thing in the group shot we didn't wind up looking like risotto. Heh heh.

Your wine was quite nice, Jojo and Jay also liked it. I think my wine fared the worst. both Jojo and Jay said it should not have been decanted for so long and, in hindsight, I think they are right. Jojo wants to re-taste it in another lunch so I suggested sometime in June.

As regards Jérome's stock of 2007 Tempier Bandol Rosé, don't worry, the last handful of bottles in his warehouse are mine. Rest assured you will also enjoy drinking them.

N

Miguel said...

he he....what a great day I wish all days could be like that...fine wine good food and good company...

Yes I remember Jerome mentioning he had a few botles left of Bandol....hehe..