Monday, July 20, 2009

Asador de Aranda, Barcelona


My next meal in Barcelona was one of my favorite places while I was living there: Asador de Aranda. It is located in the upper residential part of town (Tibidabo) and it is an old Monastery that was converted into a restaurant. What's so great about this place? They serve 21-day old lamb, cooked Asador style, in a brick oven. It is so tender, that it is cut with a plate, rather than a knife and if I am not mistaken, they have their own farm where the grow the Lamb. This is traditional castillan Gastronomy at it's best...

As soon as we got there, I told the waiter to give us 'lo tipico' or 'the usual', which is what everybody orders: Small plates of Chorizo, Morcilla, Jamon Iberico, Picadillo, Pimientos de Piquillo with Tuna and Green Salad.




The Morcilla de Arroz (rice sausage with pigs blood) is the best I've tried, crunchy on the outside and moist and tasty on the inside...the Jamon they served us was a Jamon Iberico. We enjoyed this with a Bottle of one of my favorite everyday Rioja wines: 2003 Marques de Murrieta, a classic Rioja that I have always enjoyed.


Then came the star of the table: Lechazo Asado en Horno de Leña (21 day old Roast Baby Lamb). We had two 1/4 orders. First it is brought to your table and once you have approved it (as if you would ever dissaprove of it when you see it), they take it away and proceed to 'cut' it with a plate then later on with a spoon(that's part of the 'show' of the restaurant)...



The Lamb is so tender and tasty, its like eating the lamb version of Kobe Beef...an accompanied by a good red wine like our Rioja, it was just superb. I would have wanted though a bit more full bodied red, like a RIbera del Duero, but I was not too happy with the selection of Riberas on the wine list.

Aside from the lamb, we had a separate order of Chuletillas a la Brasa (Grilled Chops of baby Lamb), which is served in your own personal mini grill. This has very little meat but is very, very tasty. I usually also order a mini grill of baby Lamb Kidneys, but decided to pass this time, due to Uric Acid concerns, if you know what I mean....



After a meal like this, I obviuosly had no more oom for anything else so we just had some Orujo and rosquillas (which is a liquor obtained from the distillation of the pomace-solid remains left after pressing of the grape) and a double espresso.

I enjoyed the meal very much and even if this restaurant is a chain (there are several all over Spain) and may be at some times very touristy, its still very good quality and value for money. I recommend this to anybody travelling to Barcelona.

Next on the blog, a lunch I had in a Gordon Ramsay restaurant in London......

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I can see you're working very hard during this "business trip", he he. Keep the good stuff coming! Pics are top notch as usual... Makes you want to reach out for your double dose of statins.

P.S. Seeing the bottle of Murietta gave me flashbacks of spoilt paintwork and mild hysteria - courtesy of a recalcitrant cork.

Edwin

Miguel said...

Hey...this was a business meeting....promise...hehehe

Hahaha yes I remember that story of teh Murrieta....Tita Amen til now is paranoid everytime we open a bottle in her house...hahaha

Noel said...

Edwin's right. I nearly bit my computer monitor when I saw the photo of the roast baby lamb. That morcilla looks to die for as well.

We've been going through morcilla withdrawal since Terry's hasn't had any the past two times we were there with the children. Lucky you!

N

Miguel said...

I'll try to bring back Morcilla. which does Terrys serve? Morcilla de arroz or Morcilla de Cebolla?

Noel said...

I think it's just the common morcilla de Burgos, but don't bother na, thanks. I'm already very happy with the txakoli!

N

ChichaJo said...

I love this place!!! And my friend's who I have recommended it to are always happy with it :) The lamb is fantastic and for me also one of the best morcilla ever!

My tummy's grumbling...

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone! I do not know where to start but hope this place will be useful for me.
In first steps it is very good if someone supports you, so hope to meet friendly and helpful people here. Let me know if I can help you.
Thanks and good luck everyone! ;)