Friday, July 3, 2009

Birthday Celebration at Pepato

Dinner last Thursday was at Pepato to celebrate my sisters birthday. She had been craving for good steak, so I remembered how much I enjoyed the steak at Pepato the lat time I was there. We were a total of 5 people but only 3 drinking wine, so I only brought 2 bottles of wine.

For starters, we had Squash Flower Oyster-Mushroom-Apple Fritters, Roasted Bone Marrow with Truffle Paste, Mozarella and Tomato and Parma Ham with Chico Sherbet. These are all classic Pepato appetizers and all my favorites. The Bone Marrow is delicious, with the Truffle paste and a little lemon. You can only have one or 2 bites because it is really rich. The Parma ham is great although I would have liked it more if they added a few more slices of Parma Ham. With this we opened a bottle of Homenaje Rosado, a very light and refreshing rose wine that I really enjoy.





We then ordered our main course: Spaghetti Pepato and Bistecca alla Fiorentina. The Spaghetti, such a simple but tasty dish. Burning alcohol is poured on a huge wheel of Parmeggiano Reggiano. As the alcohol heats up and melts the cheese, Spaghetti is tossed in. The melted Cheese coats the pasta and is served immediately, with a little salt and Pepper. I'm not sure if this is a typical Italian dish but it is great...simplicity and good ingredients at it's best.




Then the main was served: Florentina Style Bistecca, the "Chuleton of Italy"...I asked mine to be served rare, and it was rare but it could have still been a bit less rare. I still enjoyed it, very tasty and again, simplicity is the key here. No sauces, just steak with Potato wedges and salt flakes. We had the steak with a bottle of 2007 Barbera d'Alba Santa Rosalia, form Mauro Sabaste. The wine was given to me by Giampiero, who works fro Mauro Sabaste. I know this is quite young but I wanted to try it and seemed like this was the perfect occasion. Made of 100% Barbera, it is a well balance, full bodied wine, perfect for Steak. I decanted it for one hour before serving. Thank you Giampiero!



We had some desserts and coffee, plus a small birthday cake compliments of Pepato. My whole family enjoyed the meal and more important, my sister enjoyed the steak, so I guess that's whats most important. Service was great and I will definitely come back here again...soon. Thanks Noel for arranging the reservations for me.

8 comments:

Noel said...

My pleasure, buddy. It was nothing.
I'm glad your family enjoyed.

Yes, you ordered our usual dishes, but those are really the best they have. You'll never go wrong ordering those dishes at Pepato.

Best,

N

Miguel said...

My whole family enjoyed..it was their first time to go.

Thanks!!

Unknown said...

I see they have a new wheel if Parmeggiano. Nice! Happy birthday to your sis:-)

goodfor2 said...

thanks for the tip:)

MrsLavendula said...

wow that spaghetti prepared on the roll of Parmeggiano looks goood!! we must try eating at pepato!

My Hotel Life said...

Is Pepato in Manila? Spaghetti looked fantastic! Great blog.

Miguel said...

MHL - yes it's in Manila - Greenbelt 4 I think.

Thanks..

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can reveal that I approve of with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is still a suspect as you did in the decrease publication of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=office 2007 ?
I noticed the utter you procure not used. Or you functioning the black methods of promotion of the resource. I take a week and do necheg
Your Ferrdenants :)