Saturday, June 25, 2011

Russian River @ The Tasting Room





We were lucky to be part of a small group of beer lovers to try some Russian River brews. Considered to be one of the best beers in the world, they are very hard to find. Thanks to Jim for bring this in for us to try them out.

We started out with a Rogue Juniper Pale Ale, quite light but we want to condition our palate for the RR beers.


As the rest arrived, Jim started pouring the first one, with millimetrical precision. We only had 3 bottles of each and we were 9 so the pouring was serious stuff. (look how serious Jim looks as he opens the first batch )




The first one we tried was the Temptation. A wild ale aged in Chardonnay barrels. This was very fruity, acidic but quite refreshing. It was more like a bubbly wine to me. The third bottle was one year aged, which made the wine less acidic and easier to drink.



Next was Consecration, another Ale but this was aged in Oak Barrels with Currants. Much darker in color, this w as also quite acidic, with hints of sweetness coming from the currants. This to me tasted more like a Lambic. Not really my type, but this was an educational tasting.



Last of the RR beers was Pliny the Elder. This is a double IPA and considered to be one of the best in the world. This is really my type of beer: tons of hops, very fresh (this was bottled less than 2 months ago) and lots of mango, peach and many other fruits. This is beat taken fresh so if you have any of this, drink up right away.




After the RR tasting, Jim opened one last bottle, a sort of a pre release: Ballast Point Sea Monster Imperial Stout. I loved this stout, lots of chocolate and coffee notes, not as powerful and full bodied though as other stouts I've tried. Thanks Jim I will definitely stock up on this.




Many other beers were then opened. I left quite early so I was only able to catch the first 2, one of which I had already tried.




This was a great tasting. Thanks Jim for bringing the RR beers in and for the rest of the stuff.

Til the next one!!

2 comments:

Noel said...

Others opened were Southern Tier Mokah Stout, Crème Brûlée Stout, etc. I really can't remember the rest as I was already quite hit towards the end.

Best,

N

jimaraneta said...

I like the milli-metrical pouring servings. had to so no one would get lugi ha ha. If Vinnie gives in to my kulit there will be no such thing :-)