I stumbled upon this list some time ago and decided to see how I do. I also wanted to make this blog a bit interactive so I hope the people that read this make their own list and see how they score. You can post your scores in the comment section if you like.
It's surprising to know that there is still a lot of food out there that I must try. I do plan to try some this coming 2009 but others that I will never even dare try (whole insects, roadkill, Fugu, etc...)
My score: 64/100...not bad. I do think that there are many others that have been left out from this list..maybe I'll make my own list one of these days...
The VGT Omnivore's Hundred:
1. Venison - a few times
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros - a few times
4. Steak tartare - all the time
5. Crocodile - maybe someday
6. Black pudding - once - and something similar(Morcilla)
7. Cheese fondue - several times
8. Carp - a few times
10. Baba ghanoush
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart - many times
17. Black truffle - a few times
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - tried mango wine once
19. Steamed pork buns - siopao?? I love siopao...
20. Pistachio ice cream - many times
21. Heirloom tomatoes - in Spain
22. Fresh wild berries - When I was living in Spain
23. Foie gras - many times
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas - love those
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut - when I was in Bonn
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - Yeah Jello shots....
40. Oxtail - many times
41. Curried goat - several times
42. Whole insects - NEVER !!!!
43. Phaal - hmm I'd love to try this spicy curry some day...
44. Goat's milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - Tried Laphroaig...
46. Fugu - I would'nt dare....
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel - a few times but never liked it
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - first time in a KC drive thru in SF.
50. Sea urchin - several times
51. Prickly pear
53. Abalone - once but di not like it so much
55. McDonald's Big Mac Meal - many many times...
57. Dirty gin martini - love that with lotsa olives also..
58. Beer above 8% ABV - several beers in Europe
60. Carob chips
61. S'mores - many times
65. Durian - tried the fruit and the Ice cream...
66. Frogs' legs - once...
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - churros all the time
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho - the only soup I like..
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe - had 'weird' dreams after....
74. Gjetost, or brunost
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail - love them ....
79. Lapsang souchong
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict - great breakfast dish
83. Pocky - love those japanese snacks...
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - once...best tasting experience
85. Kobe beef - love it...
88. Flowers - in Tagaytay....
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam - not as often as I would like...
92. Soft shell crab - my favorite in Japanese restaurants...
93. Rose harissa
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee - several times but could not tell the difference..
100. Snake - maybe someday..
Seems like I'll be posting my own personal list soon....if you have or you think some other items should be on that list, please let me know.