Friday, January 29, 2010

Can Valles, Barcelona

My first lunch in Barcelona was a Restaurant called Can Valles. I have been wanting to try this place, since I heard a lot of good reviews about it. In a world full of Michelin Stars, best Restaurant lists, etc... it was nice to search and find a restaurant that had simple yet creative/homey cooking that was not rated by any of the Restaurant list all over the net. This place is like a well known secret, full of locals who are regulars.

For starters, we had a simple yet sinful plate of Jamon Iberico Pata Negra (made from Iberian Pigs who are fed with acorns) with Pan con Tomate (Bread rubbed with tomato, lots of Olive Oil and salt). Washed down with a glass of Fino, one of the best things in life...


Next, one of the house specialties: Carpaccio of Smoked Deer Meat, Mustard and balsamic Vinaigrette and deep fried Orange. This was one of their more creative dishes, very tasty and quite different to regular Carpaccios I've had. The deer meet was smoked, and obviously had a little gamey hint.


Our last appetizer, a more traditional one: Canelones de Pies de Cerdo (Pig's feet Caneloni). One of the best ones I've tried. There is something about Pig's feet, I know it does not sound very good but believe me if you try this, you will change your mind. Very creamy Bechamel sauced topped the dish.


And for our main course: Chuleton de Buey a la Llossa. The Chuleton must have been at least 1 kilo or more, served in a hot stone/plate, lots of salt flakes and french fries.




Served medium rare, the meat was perfectly charred on the outside and rare on the inside. All this we washed down with a bottle of 2005 Remelluri Reserva, a wine I really enjoy for this type of meals. This is a classic Rioja, medium bodied wine which pairs very well with meats and even the Cannelloni.

Simple meals like this I really enjoy. I will continue to search fro restaurants of this type and hope I find one as good as this. My next post: a similar restaurant to this in London!

No comments: